The whole idea of Anytime Bars is right in the name; you never know when hunger is going to strike, and you want to be ready to take advantage of those moments to nourish yourself. These are great as a portable snack whenever you are on the go.
Recipe borrowed from “The Cancer Fighting Kitchen”.
1 cup raw pecan halves
1 cup whole raw almonds
2 tablespoons spelt flour
2 tablespoons finely ground flaxseeds
1/4 teaspoon sea selt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup old-fashion rolled oats
1 cup pitted dates
1 cup dried apricots
1 organic egg
5 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Lightly oil a 9-inch pan.
3. Spread the pecan and almonds in a single layer on a sheet tray and toast for 7 to 10 minutes, until aromatic and slightly brown.
4. Turn down oven to 325 degrees.
5. Combine spelt flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseed, salt, baking soda, and baking flour in a food processor. Process for 5 seconds to combine.
6. Add pecans, almonds and pulse for 5 times to coarsely chop the nuts.
7. Add the oats, dates, and apricots and pulse 10 to 15 times, until the mixture is well chopped but still coarse.
8. In a large bowl combine egg, maple syrup, and vanilla together until thoroughly combined. Add the fruit and nut mixture and use your hands to mix until thoroughly combined. Add the fruit and nut mixture and use your hands to mix thoroughly, being sure to separate any clumps of fruit.
9. Spread the mixture into the oiled baking pan in an even layer and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and golden brown.
(Makes 25 Bars)